So a week ago I saw Memorex Universal Game Selector for DS Consoles on a tumblr post and was totally stoked - I can just switch between 3, 3DS Game Cartridges without popping them in and out like candy
and if you’re like me, you like shooting them off because it’s just fun and you feel like a ninja or some shit idk!
** Please note I bought this product ”Used" from Amazon. **
I own a [well-loved] 3DSXL, and the Game Selector fits fine like it does with the regular 3DS. The photos above just show how the games are inserted into the Game Selector and how it looks like and how it would feel on the 3DSXL. I don’t have a regular 3DS so I cannot get any photos of it on the standard 3DS. It fits the DS Lite fine.
This review is for the 3DSXL only.
Unfortunately, I found more Cons with this product than Pros.
- Can select between 3 different game cartridges, you don’t have to sport around a cartridge carrying case, a plus for those of us who don’t want to download the game and like having the actual cartridge in hand.
- 3DSXL does not register there’s anything in the game slot. You will have to pop it out then pop it back in to register whatever game you have the button set to.
- 3DSXL will sometimes register the game you switch to, and sometimes it won’t register the game you switch to; forcing you to pop out then pop back in for the system to register the game.
- Since the 3DSXL is… XL, I found out that if I nudge the Game Selector while playing a game (thankfully it was just ACNL so I didn’t lose much game-time), the Selector will nudge out of the slot, closing the game and any unsaved progress.
- Game Cartridges don’t “click” into the Game Selector, you just kinda slide them in until they’re snug and slide them out, one of the games had slid out while in my purse.
- Can’t put 3DSXL into back pocket, or front pocket because the Game Selector makes it wider and a little more uncomfortable, I was kinda paranoid I’d break the Selector since the material isn’t the highest quality piece of plastic out there.
If you’re using it for the 3DS I don’t think you’ll have as many issues as I did because mine is the 3DSXL (someone please correct me if I’m wrong).
Overall, this is a smart product by Memorex… just that the design could have been a lot more better, and it explains why you will see this on Clearance at your local Walmart, $11.99 on Amazon, or $3.00 shipping by a third party retailer via Amazon.
Luckily I just spent $2.64 on this, which was just shipping the thing to me. I didn’t wait long, just a business week so it arrived quickly and in good condition. But I will not be using this in the future and sticking with the good ole game cartridge pack!